When you have braces, sometimes things happen and the condition of the appliance is altered. If this is something you are experiencing, Dr. Lala and Dr. Metcalf recommend doing the following things:
• Loose Wire: Place the wire back into place with tweezers. If this is not possible, clip the wire with fingernail clippers behind the last tooth to which it is securely fastened. If it is needed, place wax on the wire to provide comfort.
• Loose Bracket: Leave the bracket in place. If it is making you uncomfortable, we recommend placing wax over it. If the bracket comes out of your mouth completely, we ask that you keep it in a safe place and bring it into the office with you during your next visit.
• Appliance Irritation: If your appliance is causing irritations to your gums, cheeks, or lips, rinse your mouth with salt water and place wax over the section of the appliance that is causing the discomfort.
• Out-of-Place Wire: If your wire has come out of its position and it is irritating your mouth, your orthodontist recommends gently tucking the wire back into place with a popsicle stick or a pencil eraser. If the wire will not go back into place, place wax over it until your next visit to Blog.
• Lost Appliance: If you lose your head gear or retainer, we suggest calling our office as soon as you can to schedule a time to receive your replacement. This is very important because the longer you go without the appliance, the longer your treatment will be.
To know more about what to do during an orthodontic emergency in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, call our office now and talk to your orthodontist.